Brief Introduction #
Variable products are a product type in WooCommerce that lets you offer a set of variations on a product, with control over prices, stock, images, and more for each variation. They can be used for a product like a shirt, where you can offer a large, medium, and small in different colors.
- MultiVendorX Pro
Enable Variable Product #
Whether it’s a t-shirt or a mug, we appreciate variety. To let vendors offer a variation to customers, enable the variable product option with MultiVendorX Pro. To enable this product type option –
- Go to your admin dashboard and then navigate to MultiVendorX. Hover your cursor on the MultiVendorX option and wait for the menu list to pop-up.
- Select the Module option from the menu list. Once you land on the Module page enable the Variable option available under the Marketplace Types.
- There you have it! Vendors can now provide variations for their simple products.
Add A Variable Product #
By creating variations of their simple product, vendors can give customers a variety of options. To add a variable product the vendor must –
- Go to the vendor dashboard and then select Add Product from the topside menu.
- Once selected they would get directed to the search product page. Under the search product text area there is a create product option.
- After the vendor selects that he or she can add the product details for their new product following this article.
- Next, the vendor must select the product type option as variable product.
To create a variable product the vendor must configure two tab carefully. Lets take a look at what these tabs are.
Attribute Tab #
Attributes add extra data to the product. By adding an attribute we can define things like the size, colour, pattern etc. In case of variable products you can create variations using attributes, which we will learn in a while. For now lets focus on how vendora can add various attributes.
- Once the vendor clicks on the attribute tab, he or she must select Custom product attribute and click Add.
- Vendors can then pick a title for the attribute (e.g., Size).
- They must then set values using a vertical pipe,
|, to seperate each of them. (e.g., Small | Medium | Large).
- After adding the value they can enable the Used for variations checkbox.
- Select Save once everything is in place.
Variation Tab #
While attributes define a product, variations add variety to each attribute. Let’s learn more about this by configuring the variation tab.
- After vendors save their attributes, they can create variations by adding the create variation from attributes option.
- They can then make changes to the data by clicking on the expand option.
- Data they can add or change are –
- Enable – Selecting this option will allow customers to view the added data.
- Variable Image – They can showcase distinctions among each variable by adding an image.
- Price – Vendors can charge differently for different attributes.
- Tax status – They can decide whether a the variable product would be Taxable or not.
- Tax class – Vendors can add a Tax class for a certain variation. It is useful if they are offering variations spanning different tax bands.
- Stock quantity – They can set different stock level for different variation.
- Allow backorders – Enabling this will let vendors accept back orders for each variation.
- Low stock threshold – Just like simple products vendors can set a low stock data for each variation.
- Virtual or Downloadable – If the product is a non-tangible simple product the vendor can select this option. In case it’s a downloadable product the vendor has to add more data to their variations like.
- Downloadable Files – Shows if Downloadable is selected. Add file(s) for customers to download.
- Download Limit – Shows if Downloadable is selected. Set how many times a customer can download the file(s). Leave blank for unlimited.
- Download Expiry – Shows if Downloadable is selected. Set the number of days before a download expires after purchase.
- Once all date are added they can select save and submit or publih their products.
Note: Simple Product Type is supported by MultivendorX itself. If the vendors want to move beyond these product types, admin must install the respective product type plugins and allow them to create, manage and sell Bookable Product, Subscription, Rental, and Auction product types from their store.
With this we come to the end of the tutorial. I hope you find this tutorial helpful. In case of any queries and doubt don’t forget to notify our support team.